Book Maze Author Appearance
SCIENCE FICTION DAY @ BOOK MAZE
I just participated in another author appearance/book signing event. This one took place in Mesa, AZ, at an awesome book and gaming store called Book Maze. Thank you, Book Maze!
Book Maze is more than a book store!
Book Maze not only sells books, but they have an awesome section of games, gaming supplies, dice, etc. They also host gaming sessions for a variety of role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons, and they provide maps and extensive layouts that are incredibly detailed.
And they host some really fun author events.
Including, the last Saturday in July, a gathering to celebrate Science Fiction books and authors. Picture a half dozen authors hanging out, interacting with customers, and signing books. The venue provided some yummy snacks, including one of my favorites…cookies! Authors got to see old friends and fans and meet new ones, which was awesome.
AUTHOR APPEARANCES & BOOK SIGNINGS
Not every author appearance has to take place at a book festival or be a big blow out at a major book store. Local indie stores are great places to connect with readers. And you don’t have to go it alone, either. You can gather a group of authors and reach out to local venues to set up half-day and even full-day events.
Here are some things to keep in mind so everyone has a fun and successful event:
- Market your event. Post about it, blog about it, ask your readers/followers to come out and support. The more the merrier! Plus, the book store will appreciate the customer traffic and potential business. I mean, who can walk into a book store and leave without buying at least one book?
- Book stores often do these kinds of events in part as a community service, but they also need to draw customers and sell books. If your books are not what a customer is looking for, direct them to your partnering authors whose books may be a better fit. A rising tide, as they say, lifts all boats.
- Arrive on time. Being timely helps everyone. Besides, you don’t want to miss that one customer who shows up early just to meet you!
- Offer to help clean up after. Helping hands always make the work go faster.
- Thank everyone who participated. Especially the book store staff. Like most people, book store staff have plenty of work to do and setting up for an event takes time away from other duties. Be kind, be helpful wherever possible, and always remember to thank staff and organizers for their efforts.
Some of my favorite Author appearances are the smaller local ones because they tend to be more intimate and offer a lot of opportunity for interacting with both readers and other authors.
One more huge THANKS to Book Maze for having us. I am already looking forward to going back for Poetry Authors Day, which is in the works for October 2023.